It’s RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK! I love the concept. I wish more people lived it out every single day! Nothing melts my heart more than seeing a teenager reach out and help an elderly person, or a father gently reach down to help a child who hurt themselves, or a neighbor who reaches out to help with yardwork for another neighbor who can’t get out to do it due to illness….there’s so many ways to participate with a RAOK! I’m now thinking of the many things I might be able to do! It’s even more fun if you can do this and remain anonymous. I have several things in mind. I challenge each of my readers to consider participating and share your stories if you can. Here are some simple ideas:
- Send an email or e-card to remind someone you’re thinking of them – choose someone you haven’t reached out to in a long time.
- Call someone long distance just to tell them you wanted to hear their voice.
- Let someone go in front of you in the line at the grocery store, bank, etc.
- Instead of speeding up and driving in such a hurry, smile and wave the car over who needs to merge into your lane of traffic!
- Roll down your window and yell, “Thanks for your hard work!” to the construction workers at a road construction site.
- Leave some homemade goodies and a “thank you” note for your trash pick up workers.
- If you see a young mom struggling with groceries and kids in the parking lot, offer to help.
- Pay for someone’s groceries — or meal — or ???
- Send a note of encouragment to a teacher, youth leader, pastor, boss, or other leader.
- Call a young mom and offer to sit with the kids so she can have a couple of hours off.
- Send someone flowers for no reason.
- Give someone an unexpected back rub.
- Hug someone and tell them you care about them.
- Write a letter – not done too much anymore and it’s still so much fun to receive a letter in the mailbox instead of the pile of bills and credit card offers!
- Send an electronic gift certificate to someone just because….like to Amazon.com
- Write a love note to your kids just because.
- Fix a great dinner unexpectedly for someone.
The list really never ends…will you take advantage of this silly excuse to do something nice for someone else, randomly, just because? I hope so! 🙂