At work we had a meeting about branding and everyone was supposed to present a brand that was doing well.
Here’s what was presented with some thoughts about each:
edgy, speak in customer’s language, connection, taking risk, controversial, gets noted
words or catchy title not always needed, swoop, athletes, sports, extreme, own market, symbol, sustainable
global recognition, weathered storms, myriad of channels – movies, theme parks, apparal, etc.
risk and change, re-branding, target market appeal, wii
memorabilia, global impact, theme song turned in to “pop” (pun intended) song, mistakingly tried to change – but public outcry launched great public awareness and worked for the company, hollywood star powered commercials
attitude! , attitude carries throughout the company, copy on the sight filled with satire and irony, “non-corpy” speak, normal every day people (models on the site), risk
simple, word of mouth advertising, knows target market, social causes, foil, consistent quality, irony in advertising
A few other thoughts from a great brand book: The Brand Gap, Marty Neumeier
(recommended reading if you’re interested in this sort of thing!)
- Brand is not always controlled by you, the customer really defines you.
- Brand = customer’s perception of you.
- Simple is best – more memorable
- When the external actions of a company align with its internal culture, the brand resonates authenticity.
- A living brand is a collaborative performance and every person in the company is an actor!
- Only one competitor can be the cheapest – the others have to use branding.
What brands do you feel are doing well and why?